R. Baker & Son Assists with Historic Preservation of Coastal Defense Gun Battery at Ft. Hancock, Sandy Hook NJ.
R. Baker & Son All Industrial Services, a leader in the demolition, wrecking, dismantling and rigging industry, recently assisted the Army Ground Forces Association and the National Park Service with the restoration and preservation of Battery Gunnison/New Peck. This battery is located at Fort Hancock, which is situated at the Gateway National Recreation Area of Sandy Hook, New Jersey.
Battery Gunnison/New Peck is one of the last US Army seacoast artillery batteries in the continental United States that retains its original armament. Over 500 batteries were constructed between 1895 and 1944, and of those only about six remain with their original armament still in place. While over 40 examples of seacoast artillery guns still exist, this particular battery retains the only 6-inch M1900 seacoast rifles in existence.
R. Baker & Son All Industrial Services (R. Baker & Son) assisted the Army Ground Forces Association (AGFA) by donating several mechanics and equipment to assist with restoration activities at the historic gun battery.
The partnership between R. Baker & Son and the AGFA was made possible through the extraordinary efforts of Justin. Justin is a 9 year old Cub Scout and student at St. Veronica’s School. He has an interest in military history and the restoration of forts and military artifacts. This interest, coupled with his belief in giving back to the community, motivated Justin to pursue a means to assist the AGFA with their historic preservation efforts. His Aunt Sandra works for R. Baker & Son and together they encouraged the Bakers to donate manpower and equipment. These efforts have greatly advanced the objectives of AGFA in their quest to properly restore and interpret this battery for the American People.
R. Baker & Son would like to thank Justin for his efforts. His insightfulness and efforts for a young man of 9 are commendable and remarkable.
Demolition Contractors in New Jersey
Plant and Machinery Movers
- United Nations: Moving The World's Treasures - Manhattan, NYC
- Facility Of The Year Award (FOYA) for Pharmadule Project - New Jersey
- Rigging Fire Truck at 9/11 Memorial Ceremony - Manhattan, NYC
- Domino Sugar: A Slice of History - Brooklyn, NY
- USS Intrepid - Manhattan, Pier 86, NYC
- Petrochemical Plant: Rigging & Dismantling - New Jersey
- Colgate Palmolive - Jersey City, NJ
- Dismantling and Rigging, Plant Relocation Project - New Jersey
- Complex Rigging in Pharmaceutical Plant - NJ
Wrecking / Razing
Demolition Contractors in New York
- Surgical Demolition Project - Turbine Generator - New York (NYC)
- R. Baker & Son Curtain Wall Projects - New York, NY
- World Trade Center Transportation Hub Project - WTC NYC
- Restoration of the United Nations - NYC
- Kings County Hospital - Tri State Area
- JFK'S American Airlines Terminal Demolition - New York