R. Baker & Son recently completed a project at Ellis Island as part of a storm recovery project following Hurricane Sandy.
When Sandy hit New York and New Jersey in October 2012, buildings on Ellis Island were inundated with floodwaters, including the National Museum of Immigration. The museum’s archival documents and artifacts were mostly unscathed, but mechanical systems were severely damaged or destroyed, necessitating closure of the island and the evacuation of approximately half of the museum’s collection to a storage facility. Though Ellis Island and the museum reopened to visitors in October 2013, the collection remained in storage while a $39.4 million project to move critical mechanical and electrical systems above flood elevations was completed. On September 10, 2015, the exhibit collection was returned to the island, marking the 25th anniversary of the opening of the museum on Ellis Island to the public.
R. Baker & Son’s portion of the project included, along with various other pieces of mechanical equipment, the removal of an old 750 kW diesel generator from the Main Immigration building. After placing the two-ton generator on rigging skates, Baker’s rigging team utilized a come-a-long to maneuver it out of the building and onto a flatbed truck. A crane was then used rig the unit onto a waiting barge.
Demolition Contractors in New Jersey
Plant and Machinery Movers
- United Nations: Moving The World's Treasures - Manhattan, NYC
- Facility Of The Year Award (FOYA) for Pharmadule Project - New Jersey
- Rigging Fire Truck at 9/11 Memorial Ceremony - Manhattan, NYC
- Domino Sugar: A Slice of History - Brooklyn, NY
- USS Intrepid - Manhattan, Pier 86, NYC
- Petrochemical Plant: Rigging & Dismantling - New Jersey
- Colgate Palmolive - Jersey City, NJ
- Dismantling and Rigging, Plant Relocation Project - New Jersey
- Complex Rigging in Pharmaceutical Plant - NJ
Wrecking / Razing
Demolition Contractors in New York
- Surgical Demolition Project - Turbine Generator - New York (NYC)
- R. Baker & Son Curtain Wall Projects - New York, NY
- World Trade Center Transportation Hub Project - WTC NYC
- Restoration of the United Nations - NYC
- Kings County Hospital - Tri State Area
- JFK'S American Airlines Terminal Demolition - New York